While dried spices and herbs can enhance a recipe, sometimes nothing can bring a dish to life like the more nuanced flavors and aromas from fresh herbs and spices. If you want to make fresh herbs and spices a regular part of your cooking routine, then you’re going to need a reliable spice grinder which is up to the job.
|Mueller Austria HyperGrind|
It is important to note that the bulk of electric spice grinders are also labeled “coffee grinders.” Despite this fact, you should not consider them such. It is true that they can grind coffee, but not as effectively as appliances designed primarily for that task. So you should consider shopping for a coffee grinder separately, and prioritizing spice-related considerations when shopping for an herb and spice grinder.
In the guide below, we will introduce you to some of the top spice grinders which are on the market today. Scrolling past the overviews, you can read up on some important shopping considerations when selecting your spice grinder.
1. LINKChef 200W Coffee, Nut and Spice Grinder
The LINKChef 200W is an affordable electric spice grinder which can also be used for herbs, nuts and coffee if desired. It features 200W of power and a number of nice features which give it a surprising amount of value considering its low price point.
- The powerful motor is able to grind up to 2 ounces of coffee in just 20 seconds. Theoretically, that means that you may be able to process herbs and spices even more rapidly. Not only that, but you may get more finely ground results in a shorter period of time than you did with less powerful spice grinders that you have tried using in the past.
- The blades are made out of durable stainless steel. When you open the lid, they will not turn, thanks to a safety switch that is triggered when you open or close the lid. This keeps you from accidentally cutting your fingers.
- Your purchase includes the spice grinder, two cleaning brushes, an extra blade, and a user manual.
- If you are in search of a spice grinder which operates at a low volume level, this one does a great job at keeping noise down.
- Even with its low price, this spice grinder is backed by a three-year warranty.
- Sometimes, these grinders can burn out quickly. This may be a result of using them on the wrong things (i.e. the wrong type of nuts, for example).
2. CHULUX Electric Spices and Coffee Grinder with 2.5 Ounce Two Detachable Cups
The CHULUX Electric Spices and Coffee Grinder is a worthwhile model to consider if you are shopping for a detachable cup spice grinder. This grinder is FDA and ETL certified. Together with its solid features, this gives it a reputation for quality.
- You are able to both grind and chop spices and herbs using this device, making it a multifunctional choice. It also can handle both wet and dry foods.
- When you open the lid, the device stops working in order to protect your fingers from getting sliced. A safety switch ensures that this automatically takes place.
- On the whole, cleaning this appliance is easy thanks to the fact that the cups are removable. If you are doing wet grinding, you can expect a bit more work than if you are doing dry grinding.
- The 200-watt motor is made of copper so that heat will not build up. If by any chance the heat does rise too high, overheat protection will kick in.
- Your purchase is backed by a 12-month warranty.
- A few units appear to have shipped out with a manufacturing flaw that causes them to smoke on the first or second use. If this happens, fall back on the warranty.
- Sometimes wet grinding can be messy. Watch out for spills.
3. Mueller Austria HyperGrind Precision Electric Coffee Grinder Mill
If you are looking for a compact grinder which performs reliably, think about the Mueller Austria HyperGrind Precision Electric Coffee Grinder Mill. This grinder features a vertical design and was built with the goal of keeping as much counter space open as possible.
- This grinder includes a button which you can push to increase or decrease grind coarseness as desired so that you get just the consistency you need. This is a cool feature which not every competing product offers.
- If a grinder which runs quietly is one of your priorities, that is another great reason to recommend this Mueller Austria HyperGrind grinder.
- It is an impressively versatile appliance, capable of grinding everything from spices to nuts to shrimp.
- The design really is compact, which is a big plus if you have a small kitchen and need to conserve space. Despite this, it offers a surprisingly large capacity, and packs a lot of power.
- Your purchase of this grinder is backed by a 100% money-back guarantee.
- It seems that a minority of these units have a manufacturing flaw where the upper plastic chamber and the inner cup are not aligned perfectly, which can let herbs into the motor. Check for this before you use the appliance.
4. SHARDOR Coffee & Spice Grinder
Another option for grinding both wet and dry spices is the SHARDOR Coffee & Spice Grinder. This is also a product which includes a couple of removable bowls made of high-quality stainless steel in order to facilitate fast and easy cleanup after your grinding is complete.
- The powerful motor in this product can grind most spices within just 20 seconds. There is a separate bowl for grinding with two grinding blades, and a separate bowl for chopping with four chopping blades. These blades are made out of durable stainless steel. You get a 2-in-1 spoon/brush combo with your purchase and a user manual to get you started with your new appliance.
- A sealing ring is included so that powders will not spill and create a mess. Additionally, it is easy to put the cups in or take them out. Since that is the case, they are less likely to spill out residue when you are cleaning.
- By pushing down on the lid, you can adjust how coarse the result of the grind is.
- The product is ETL certified and comes backed by a 1-year replacement warranty.
- Occasionally, this spice grinder may only work a few times before breaking down. This, it seems, is possible with pretty much any kitchen appliance. Thankfully, it does not happen often at all with this one.
5. KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder
This three ounce electric spice grinder is an extremely popular product which has been well received for its quality features. While the KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder can be one of the more expensive options at full price, it sometimes goes on sale. Even at full price, however, its features make it a high-value buy.
- As this KRUPS grinder can process coffee beans in just 10 seconds, it can also grind spices just as rapidly.
- You can put 3 ounces of material into the grinder to process, so it is an excellent option if you need a high-yield grinder. It is easy to customize the outcome of your grinding just by holding down the button for a longer or shorter period of time.
- The grinder features a stylish design. With its sleek minimalist elegance, it will never appear to clutter up a countertop.
- When you order the KRUPS F203 grinder, your purchase includes the grinder itself with the stainless steel blades. A 2-year warranty also comes with your purchase.
- While most of these units come out working great, there are some duds which die after just a few uses (or right out of the box). If you encounter one of these failed products, avail yourself of the warranty.
- Consistency (coarse versus fine) can come out as a mix. There is an easy fix, however. While the device is working, carefully shake it.
6. Quiseen One-Touch Electric Coffee Grinder
The Quiseen One-Touch Electric Coffee Grinder is a stylish and effective appliance. While it tends to retail at a higher price, it sometimes goes on sale for significantly less. Whether at full price or a discount, it offers you great long-lasting value in the kitchen.
- With its 2.5-ounce capacity, you can process a good bit of material in this appliance, whether coffee, spices, herbs, nuts or grains.
- The unique design of the device is not just stylish, but also functional. The texture around the outside was designed to offer a surface you can easily grip. Meanwhile, the transparent lid allows you to see what you are grinding, helping you to customize the results.
- Need to conserve space when you are storing the grinder? The power cord can be stored inside the device so that it takes up less space. This also reduces the “cluttered” appearance which the appliance might otherwise have when it is not in use.
- The safety lock feature prevents the blades from spinning when the lid of the device is removed.
- There are some cracks which are not sealed. As a result, spices can get into those cracks, and cleaning them out can be a challenge. Take your time and be mindful when using the grinder so as to reduce spills and keep clean-up fast and easy.
Considerations When Buying a Spice Grinder
1. Fixed vs. Removable Cup
When you purchase a spice grinder, the cup will either be fixed or you will be able to remove it. Which do you need?
- If your main concern is easy cleaning, go with the removable cup.
- If your main concern is protecting the motor housing from rogue spices, go with the fixed cup.
Neither a fixed nor removable cup for a spice grinder is necessarily objectively “better.” Your needs are what determine what is superior for you.
2. Cool, Fast Operation
You do not want the herbs and spices you are grinding to overheat during the process. If they do, their flavors and aromas will be reduced. That means that you should shop for a spice grinder which runs cool to begin with, and preferably quickly. The longer that a spice grinder has to work, the more it is likely to generate heat.
3. How Finely the Appliance Grinds
If your goal is to grind down your spices until they have turned into a soft powder, you will need to shop for a grinder that can actually grind down to such fine particles.
4. Consistency of Results
A high-quality spice grinder should be able to yield results which are consistent from batch to batch, and within a single batch. You do not want varying particles sizes, as this could disrupt the texture that you are looking for with your ground spices or herbs.
5. Easy to Clean
As you can expect, powdery spice residue can be a real pain to clean up if an appliance has not been designed to make it as easy as possible. Worse, ground spices can easily get into the smallest of cracks. So if an appliance does not take this into account, you can find yourself really struggling to clean caked-on spices out of narrow crevices.
6. Quality Materials
Last but not least, shop for a spice grinder which is made out of high quality materials. A sturdy spice grinder should be able to run for a long time before needing replacement.