On a hot summer day, what beverage do you crave? For a lot of people, the answer is a tall, refreshing glass of iced tea. If you want to make iced tea at home, there are several ways you can do it. But in every case, you are going to need a large pitcher in which to store the tea in your refrigerator.
You might think that choosing a pitcher for iced tea is pretty straightforward. But there are a few special considerations if you want your pitcher to last and your tea to taste delicious. In this guide, we’ll go over top iced tea pitchers currently on the market, and we’ll also share some important considerations when selecting a pitcher for brewing tea.
1. Hiware 64 Ounces Glass Pitcher with Stainless Steel Lid
One high-quality pitcher to consider for making iced tea is the Hiware 64 Ounces Glass Pitcher with Stainless Steel Lid. While this overview is for the 64 ounce version, you can also buy a 50 ounce or 35 ounce version if you have less room in your fridge.
- The sturdy lead-free, BPA-free borosilicate glass will not shatter even at temperatures as high as 300°F.
- The wide mouth of the product makes it easy to clean by hand. But if you prefer, you can put it in the dishwasher.
- The stainless steel lid contains a filter. Owing to the shape of the pitcher, you cannot press this filter down like you could if it were a French press. But if you have loose tea, fruit, coffee grounds, or other particulates in the body of the pitcher, the filter should prevent them from pouring into your glass.
- There is a stopper built into the lid which opens when you tilt the pitcher. It helps to control the flow of the liquid, which reduces the chances that it will gush out of the carafe and make a mess.
- Your product is backed by a two-year quality and safety guarantee.
- Occasionally, some pitchers have a flaw where the handle will break off.
2. Glass Water Pitcher with Diamond Pattern and TIGHT Lid by Pykal
If you want a different aesthetic look than the smooth surface of the Hiware 64 Ounces Glass Pitcher, consider the Glass Water Pitcher with Diamond Pattern by Pykal. The textured surface of the pitcher has a lovely appearance that will complement any table.
- This is a handcrafted product made out of thick, durable, BPA-free borosilicate glass. The glass is annealed for extra strength. You can heat it up to 300°F, and it will not break.
- The lid is made of stainless steel and filters as you pour through tiny holes designed to remove as much in the way of particulates as possible.
- Even though the mouth isn’t wide enough to reach inside with your hand, the product does come with a long-handled brush as a bonus to help you clean it. You can put it in your dishwasher if necessary, though the seller recommends you avoid it.
- With the diamond pattern, it truly is a magnificent pitcher which is sure to get a lot of compliments if you are hosting a dinner party. It will look great in your fridge or on your countertop the rest of the time.
- Despite the seller’s emphasis on the tight lid, the lid actually tends to drip a little. This isn’t terribly inconvenient, but it is a downside.
3. Takeya Patented and Airtight Pitcher Made in the USA
If the previous two pitchers we shared are too bulbous to fit in your fridge, you might prefer the tall, narrow profile of the Takeya Patented and Airtight Pitcher. The sides of the pitcher are almost straight, giving it a look which is similar to a thermos. It is also made of plastic, not glass, which may be preferred by those who are worried about glass shattering.
- The plastic is BPA-free. The manufacturer says that it can be used with boiling liquid, though it would perhaps still be better to use it to cold brew your tea instead.
- The lid is airtight or close to it, and doesn’t leak if the pitcher is upright.
- The silicone handle is easy to grip, even if your hand is wet. It comes in four colors: black, blueberry, raspberry and avocado.
- There is a ring which you can use to screw on a compatible infuser manufactured by Takeya.
- Despite the tall, narrow shape of the pitcher, cleaning it by hand is easy.
- Sometimes (but not universally) these pitchers leak if you lay them on their sides. This could be an issue if they are too tall to stand upright in your fridge. Make sure that the dimensions are suitable for you in an upright position before you buy.
4. Bormioli Rocco Hermetic Seal Glass Pitcher With Lid and Spout
If you are not looking for a lot of bells and whistles, the Bormioli Rocco Hermetic Seal Glass Pitcher With Lid and Spout may be a satisfactory option. In particular, consider this pitcher if you are concerned about a lid which seals well.
- The glass is lead-free and thick, making it 100% recyclable and an eco-friendly choice. If thin borosilicate glass on other pitchers concerns you, you may feel more comfortable with the thicker glass used to make the Bormioli Rocco Hermetic Seal Glass Pitcher.
- As clearly stated in the name of the product, it is hermetically sealed. So if an airtight containers your goal, this would seem to be the ideal product.
- The mouth of the pitcher is wide, so you can reach inside easily to wipe it down while cleaning. It is also safe to put in your dishwasher for effortless cleaning.
- The jug has an appealing squarish shape and a pleasant texture. If you are concerned about where it is manufactured, it is made in Italy, not China.
- The manufacturer clearly states that hot water should never go into this pitcher. So it is only suitable if you are cold brewing your tea.
- The handle is kind of short. While it might look nice, it can be difficult to lift and pour.
5. 68 Ounce Glass Pitcher by Aofmee
The 68 Ounce Glass Pitcher by Aofmee is similar to some of the other products in this list, but it has the additional handy feature of a scale line along the side. This feature can be helpful if you are preparing complex beverages which requires you to put in certain volumes liquids or solids.
- The seller does not explicitly say that putting this product in the dishwasher is forbidden, but strongly advises hand-washing it. A long-handled brush is included with your purchase, but the mouth is wide enough that you may or may not need it.
- The durable borosilicate glass that the pitcher is made from can hold up to temperatures ranging up to 300°F. It is lead-free and BPA-free.
- The 18/8 stainless steel lid is outfitted with a filter. Such is ideal for loose tea and other ingredients.
- The scale is in both ounces and millilitres.
- The company that sells this product has your back. They state in the item description that glass pitchers may sometimes arrive broken, and if yours does, they will send you a free replacement with no requirement that you return the original. If you would like a 30 day extension to your warranty, you need only get in touch with customer service.
- You cannot place this product on an induction burner, though you can put it on a gas burner.
6. 2 Quart Hiware Glass Fruit Infuser Water Pitcher with Removable Lid
Another Hiware product makes our list of the best iced tea pitchers. The Hiware Glass Fruit Infuser Water Pitcher with Removable Lid includes a removable rod which you can use for infusing your beverage. Not only can you put the tea in the infuser, but you can also add fruits to flavor the tea.
- The borosilicate glass is durable and capable of surviving temperatures up to 300°F without drinking. It is free of BPA and lead. Because the glass is not thick, it is not a heavy pitcher to lift. But it is strong enough that it should withstand frequent use if you do not abuse it.
- Because you can take out the infuser and put it back, you do not need to pour out the fruit or other ingredients you have in the infuser when you want to refill the pitcher. You can reuse them to continue to flavor your water.
- The product is safe to clean in your dishwasher if you do not want clean it by hand. But because the mouth of the pitcher is wide, doing so should not be difficult.
- The manufacturer backs this product with a two-year guarantee.
- The infuser itself is plastic, not glass, but this is perhaps expected. Regardless, it is BPA-free.
Considerations When Buying an Iced Tea Pitcher
Among the first considerations when shopping for a pitcher to make iced tea are dimensions and capacity. It needs to be large enough to contain multiple servings of tea, but small enough to fit inside your refrigerator. You might want to take measurements of the space where you expect to go so you can make sure that you will purchase a pitcher that will fit.
It is wise to boil your water before you pour it into your pitcher as this reduces the chances of bacterial contamination. So, you need a durable pitcher which will not crack when exposed to high heat. It should be made out of a strong material such as borosilicate glass.
If you are worried about glass cracking, you can choose plastic instead, so long as it is BPA-free. If heating up plastic makes you uncomfortable, either cold-brew your tea in it or stick with glass instead.
3. Health and Safety
A stable material like borosilicate glass also will not break down and release unwanted compounds into your iced tea when heated. This is an important health and safety consideration.
4. Easy to Clean
There are a couple of features which can help you to clean your iced tea pitcher. One is a wide mouth which makes it easy to reach inside and clean your pitcher by hand.
Another option is to purchase a pitcher which is dishwasher-safe so that you do not need to hand-wash at all.
If you want to use loose leaf tea and not just tea bags, shop for a pitcher with includes a built-in filter. A feature like this can also make your pitcher much more versatile, allowing you to brew other beverages as well such as iced coffee or fruit-infused water.
Some iced tea pitchers include a lid, and others do not (these days, most do). If a lid is important to you, remember to look for products which include one. Stainless steel is the ideal material.
Finally, with the practical considerations out of the way, you are free to think about the aesthetic elements of an iced tea pitcher’s design.